Monday, March 12, 2012

Death Row Letter From Spain's Civil War

The following is a translation of a letter from death row by Vicente Sanchez to his brother, Eladio, during the Spanish Civil War. His daughter, Juliana, provided The Associated Press with a copy.

---

Malaga, March 10, 1937

My dearest brother:

Today I have been tried by the Summary Council of War, which has recommended I be given the ultimate punishment. Although the verdict has yet to be passed and the sentence is not definite, I wish only that you should bear this misfortune with the same serenity as I do.

Eladio, with regards to the children of my heart and the woman of my life, I ask you to never abandon them and that you should seek a fine education for them so that they should grow to be dignified and praiseworthy members of the new society.

With regards to my dearest wife, I will never forget her affection, which I carry locked up in my heart. Always give her good advice, help her in any way you can ... she is so good and so blessed that the last breaths that leave my soul will be for her. Regarding our parents, try to prevent them finding out about this as I am sure it will kill them. Of our brothers and sisters, that they should be serene and resigned because this is no more than an accident of life, that the time for departure has come. After all what is life but a game of living in complete and continuous sacrifice?

Brother: Do not leave my children alone, be good to them and to our mother.

Maria: Look after our children and try to lead them along the proper path, be good as you always have so that you will be honored by them as you have been by me. I would prefer not to finish writing, but what more can I say? Many kisses brimming with glory for all from your Vicente.

Eladio, I am sending you the key to the suitcase that I have in the Hotel La Perla, No. 2 Pastora Street where you can go and collect it along with a new blanket and some boots. The coat I have left in Marmoles Street, in the Zamarrillo Inn, in the room where Manuel of the receipts lives.

Goodbye to all.

Vicente Sanchez Montes

No comments:

Post a Comment